Saturday, July 15, 2006

Hooligan Poems

When the Hooligans first came to live with me, three and a half years ago now, they were tiny little guys with funny ways. I wrote Maya these, among many, many, many poems about them. I thought we would get light hearted today, partly because we need a break from the serious every once in a while, and partly because it is raining and cloudy and drear outside. And there is nothing that makes me feel more cheerful than kittens.

Pippin
He's a bouncer, a pouncer,
A seventeen ouncer.
He creeps up on Granny,
Intending to trounce her.
She grabs him, she nabs him,
She kisses his feet.
He purrs with contentment,
His mission complete.

2 A.M.
Babies cry and wake you up
Because they're hungry; need to sup.
When kittens wake you up at night,
They crawl in bed with you and fight.

3 A.M. Romp
At 3 in the morning,
Without any warning,
Merry decided to romp.
So he put his cold nose
On Granny's bare toes,
And used his teeth to chomp!

Now, Granny awoke;
Didn't think it a joke.
And kicked his butt off the bed.
And trying her best
To get some more rest,
Cursing his silly cat head.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

I love those poems! You should think about putting together a children's book of Hooligan poems. You could call it Granny and the Hooligans.

Anonymous said...

your poems are delightful. very seussian. they brought a smile to my face as i remembered our two little nut brain cats-- long gone now.

Maya's Granny said...

Ah, Ally Bean! When I was in high school, I used to try to write like Yeats. Instead, I've become Seussian. And, I like it better!

Anonymous said...

Your little cats sound like they keep you on your toes. I love your poems.

Maya's Granny said...

My cats do keep me on my toes. Of course, three and a half years into this project, they are no longer so little. Pippin has gone from 17 ounces to 10 pounds and Merry from 19 ounces to 12 pounds. They are now, really large Hooligans.

Ms. Mamma said...

Very fun! Each of these poems could be a cool kids book, or like dj said up there, a book of poetry. I like how each line translates to an illustration.