Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Julie Victorious

This happened one Christmas and the toys they had opened were spread all over the house. Just like the cliche! Ignored the toys and fought over the box!

This is one of my favorite recorded memories. Richard was four and Julie two. You can see that he has size and strength on her. He's barely trying to keep that box away from her. She, on the other hand, has determination. Notice how calm his face is, notice how strained what you can see of her face is. He's holding on with one hand, she's pulling with both. She wants it more than he does, there is no question about that. And so, it is not in the least surprising that she gets it.

And do we see content on her face now that she has it? Perhaps, but also the determination to keep it. She fought for it, it's hers! She is getting it away as fast as she can. Later, my sister gave her a ride in it, but I don't know what Julie thought she was going to do with it when she went after it.

And one thing that hasn't changed from that day to this -- Julie goes after the things she wants with all of her heart and all of her strength and the odds just don't matter. She hangs in there and she achieves.

9 comments:

J said...

I'm thinking you got a scanner, after all of these recent posts with pictures in them. ;) True?

Joy Des Jardins said...

Your kids are beautiful...then...and now Joycelyn. (I feel a sort of connection with you...my name is Joyce Lynn...but everyone calls me Joy) It's amazing, but you can see it even back then...the kind of person Julie would be....very determined. Richard seems very laid back...is he that way as an adult? He has a very kind face. It seems that your children are very close...and, just through your writings and how they were raised...that they would be very kind, open, and generous people. Just my impressions. Loved the pictures Joycelyn.

Maya's Granny said...

J - discovered that the printer I had bought last year is an all-in-one, which means it includes a scanner!

Joy, Yes, they are beautiful and kind and funny and clever and generous and close. Richard is very laid back. Certain traits show early and his being laid back and her determination cetainly did. That first picture a really a good summing up of the differences between how they approach the world.

Maya's Granny said...

Oops. I was trying to figure out how I could have bought a printer and not known everything it could do, and remembered that Richard and Kathy bought it for me, for Christmas I think, but maybe for my birthday.

kenju said...

My younger daughter is just like that! She is very successful, all thanks to her own efforts. I am soooo proud of her.

Melissa said...

It was so much simpler in the box days. It's actually not quiet over yet for me. Did they fight over shoe boxes? My kids love shoe boxes. I have to buy two pairs when we go out. And let me tell you, it makes me so sad to have to buy two pairs of shoes. ;)

Maya's Granny said...

Melissa,
I don't know how I would bear it, to have to buy two pairs of shoes. Have I mentioned that I have 22 pair of Bandalinos in my closet that I haven't worn in 14 years but I can't part with? I love shoes.

Chancy said...

Children and boxes. What fun memories. Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I've never seen those before, so it's wonderful to see J as a toddler and see how some of her facial expressions haven't changed.

And after far as Box=Fun goes...I gotta say when my parents bought a new washer when I was a kid, it came in a big box and we played with that thing for about a week until it fell apart.