Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Accoutrements

When Richard was little, when changing his diaper, I would tell him to hold still so I could wash his accoutrements. Of course, one of his earliest words was "cumins."

Which lends a certain cache to recipes that call for a pinch of cumin.

And, the day that I picked up a book and read the very first sentence, which said, "He threw his accoutrements over his shoulder" was the day that I couldn't get to the second sentence. Put my head down on my knees and laughed and laughed.

10 comments:

Autumn's Mom said...

Like a continental soulder! hahaha That made me laugh.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, given your usage, that presents quite a hilarious picture.

Ginnie said...

This is TOO funny...especially when you realize that the definition of accoutrements is "an accessory item of equipment ... often USED IN PLURAL" !

Betty said...

That's funny. I laughed and laughed, too.

Chancy said...

Now that is funny.

Reminds me of the time when my son, about 2 years old at the time, was in the tub bathing. He suddenly got ready to get out and stood up, buck naked of course, and dripping wet.

I said
"Wait a minute. Hold your horses"

He replied:
"Where are my horses?"

kenju said...

I am laughing too, and I am so tired right now I can hardly bring myself to do it. Made me feel better, too, so thanks!

Never That Easy said...

Too funny! You know that'll be stuck in my head all night now, though, right?

Ms. Mamma said...

Very funny. I like that, accoutrements. I'll never think of Archie McPhee the same way.

LauraHinNJ said...

Won't ever be able to use that word again without giggling!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Now I'll never be able to see that word and not think of you and its "alternate" meaning.