Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Very Talented Toes

When I was 31 and living in Fairbanks and my sister Colleen was 21 and living at home with the folks in Stockton, Julie, Richard, and I went to California to visit. One night I left the kids with my parents and Colleen and I went out to a movie. When we got home, the house was dark and everyone was in bed. We sat up, talking and laughing quietly, until about 2:00 when the giggles got so loud that they woke our mother, who came out to find me trying to teach Colleen how to write with her foot. However, Colleen had narrow, ladylike feet and couldn't hold the pencil well. When Mama got out there, we were rolling on the floor howling because Colleen had declared that she would never be as good as me; she would never be able to forge historical documents with her feet.

6 comments:

Autumn's Mom said...

I've never tried to write with my toes, I must say you are very talented. I can pick up stray objects though!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I love to hear about "memory-making moments" from someone's life. Something so simple and funny that has followed you through the years to now relate to us...it's wonderful. Is that beautiful baby..YOU...J? So adorable.

Ginnie said...

Is that Colleen or you in the picture?
What an adorable baby.

Anonymous said...

I can not even pick up stray objects, so where does that leave me! :-)

Lorna said...

Twice a year, I get cards in the mail from an association of artists who paint with their feet. As far as I know, none of them can forge historical documents---at least they don't advertize it in the brochure

Maya's Granny said...

That baby is me. The point was the toes. In order to write well with your feet, you have to have prehensile toes!