Sunday, July 23, 2006

Local Weather

Fog Over Gastineau Channel

So many of the blogs I've read in the last few days have talked about the weather, particularly the ghastly hot weather in California that I decided to risk any popularity I might have and mention that we are very cool up here, in Alaska. I'm not certain the exact spot that David Kent took this picture, but it looks like it could easily be within two blocks of my apartment, because not only am I just a short distance above the Gastineau Channel, but within two blocks you are away from all signs of civilization and into the woods.

At any rate, we had a lovely foggy day, with a high of 58. This is one reason I live up here. The cool weather. The lovely, lovely fog. I think it is like living in a Chinese watercolor. To get this, we had to have ground soaking rain. We did. We are having more now. More fog predicted for the rest of the week.

9 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

What a beautiful picture this is...almost like a painting. We've certainly been getting hit with some blistering days. Thanks so much. BTW...this is the first time I've been to your site...it's lovely. I'm sure I'll be back again....

J said...

Want to trade?

Cherry said...

Ahhhhhh....

But I don't think I could sacrafice the easy access to the fruit. Love the fruit.

Susan B said...

Oh, that looks so nice. We could use a little of that around here.

Maya's Granny said...

Well, yes, it is nice. And, since we now have Full Circle Farm, the fruit has improved a great deal

Gina said...

I will just have to keep this picture in mind as I am baking!

Anonymous said...

OK, but, THE WINTER!! (and this is from someone who's lived in New England for 20 years, and every year I say to myself "WHY are we living here, again?" :-)

Beautiful pic though!

Maya's Granny said...

gurukarm, But I live in southeast Alaska. Our winters are not as harsh as yours. Now, the interior and the north slope, and even south central, that's another story.

Mary Lou said...

I know what you mean. I LOVe the fog also. We were in the triple digits for a week, and then the fog rolled in and it was blanket time! AHHHHHH Nature's air conditioner.