Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Were You Worried?

As I was getting ready to publish today's post, my computer stopped. Small popping sound, black monitor.

Have you ever tried to start a car when the battery has been stolen? No crank, crank -- just silence. That's what happened when I tried to restart my home computer. I don't know if it is totally dead or not, if I will be doing replacement or repairs, but it isn't working now.

And then . . . . . Ta Freeking Da . .

It has been snowing in Juneau since Friday. Lots and lots of snow. Monday and Tuesday the Care-A-Van couldn't get up my hill and I had to take cabs. Well, cab. There is only one in town that has four wheel drive and studded tires. Only one that can make it up my hill when the roads are like this. This morning that cab was out of service until after 10. So, I got to work at 10:30 and had to proof my program annual report and get it to my director before I could do anything else.

And now -- here I am. Alive and well. Until the home computer problem is solved, I will be publishing later in the day and not on the weekend. Not to worry.

Today's real post below.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are doing well. Sorry about your computer. Be careful with all the snow and ice. Oh I am so happy that it is sunny here and no snow.

Cherry said...

Ohhh.. sad computer. I don't think they are supposed to make popping sounds. I hope it's happy when you get home this evening.

Autumn's Mom said...

I've never had one make a popping sound. Not good. I often think of getting rid of the home computer...it's almost become as bad as the cell phone.

Anvilcloud said...

I have just seen the news that they're golfing on our east coast. Definitely unseasonable. We haven't been getting much sun here in Central Canada. It's grey and rainy most of the time. We had snow by this time ast year.

J said...

Oh dear...sounds like it's time for a new computer. Sigh.

LauraHinNJ said...

Could it just be your monitor burned out?

Joy Des Jardins said...

I know how you must be feeling with your computer problems J. When my computer blacked out several months ago, I literally freaked-out. I couldn't get it fixed fast enough..thanks to a family friend. I feel very vulnerable when it comes to my computer running in top form...especially now...when I'm actually using it for some work...as well as pleasure. I hope it's all better soon...

Maya's Granny said...

I'm told it may be a sort of a battery thing. It is definitely the computer itself.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that sound before when my monitor died. Sad, sad sound!!

kerrdelune said...

I hope that you are doing well and coping with all your snowfall - we are still in the midst of heavy rains here, so much that the whole village is like a vast quaking bog, islands of innocent looking green grass floating above treacherous seas of mud which are likely to drag an unwary pedestrian down if she is not careful, and it is so dark too - noon looks more like twilight at the moment. I much prefer snow to all these rainy days.

... so hope your computer is back up and running perfectly too. Cheers, Cate