Monday, March 12, 2007

In A Nutshell
XXXVII

In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer 201 autobiographical questions
from a mother for her daughter. This may take awhile...join us if you like.


37. What my friends and I liked best to do together was:

That depends on my age. When I was little we liked to run around and climb trees and dig holes and make forts and play hop scotch and jacks. Lots of pretend -- Cisco Kid and Captain Video and Lone Ranger. Notice that those were all men; men and boys got to have adventures and my outdoor play was all about adventures.

At whatever age I was, with girls I liked to talk as well as have adventures. Actually, with everyone I liked to talk as well as have adventures. Bike riding was big once we had bikes. Going to the store and choosing how to spend a nickel was a big deal when I was in first grade. Swings and ball games were good for recess.

Linda and I had a great time playing horse and space ship, and also, of course, there was The Great El Paso Piss Off.

Kate and I talked and shared books and spent the night at each other's houses and read the funny parts to each other. Lots of walks -- walking and talking was big in high school.

The Elves, Gnomes, Leprechauns, and Little Men's Chowder and Marching Society talked. Lord, how we talked. We talked from 1958 through college and some of us talk to this day. Talk in the park. Talk on the bus. Talk over lunch. Talk while sitting under a tree. All of it important and wonderful.

And laugh. I never had a friend that I didn't like to laugh with. It might be jokes or it might be joking or it might be reading something funny. But there was always a lot of laughter.

No comments: