Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hot Nights

I've been reading blogs this morning and a good many of them are talking about how hot it is and a couple are mentioning how hard it is to sleep with the air conditioner on the fritz.

When Forrest was four and I was nine, the family moved to Puerto Rico. It was always hot at night, and in 1952, there was no air conditioning. We slept with the windows open, and before very long at all Forry and I had learned to strip down to our underpants and sleep on the cool, Spanish tile floor. It was the best way to get a good night's sleep that we knew of.

So, a year later, we visited California. We were staying with my grandparents for a week or so before we went on to Daddy's new posting in Denver. It was rather warm. There was no air conditioner.

At two in the morning my grandmother got up to go to the bathroom. She went back and woke my grandfather.

"Percy, I don't know what to do, Forrest is dead and I don't know if I should let Ginnie get a good sleep or if I should wake her up and tell her now."

So, Grandpa went to see what was happening. You guessed it. Forry was pink and breathing, sound asleep on the bathroom floor.

11 comments:

joared said...

Gee, I glimpsed the palm tree photo and thought either you've moved or I'm on the wrong blog, but after reading a bit, then I understood. Funny story!

Ted said...

Even with A/C sometimes I wish I had a cooler place to sleep --like the bathroom floor! :-)

J said...

Too funny, that with a dead child in the bathroom, she still thought Grandma might need her sleep. HA!

Susan B said...

Cute story. Reminds me of when we were kids and were running fevers that wouldn't come down. My mother would strip us down to our skivvies and let us lie on the cool tile floor.

Maya's Granny said...

J, Well, if Grandma had a dead child, she wasn't going to be getting much sleep, so let her have some now.

J said...

That's a weird thought process, though, don't you think? I mean, I KNOW how she got from A - B, but wouldn't it bug the crap out of you to know that I had been lying on the bathroom floor, dead, while you were peacefully slumbering, and no one told you?

kenju said...

My boss just got back from a vacation in PR. He loved it.

John Eaton said...

What a cool blogspot, MG.

John

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh, your poor grandmother....but that is so funny.

Maya's Granny said...

J,
Yes it would bug me to know that. That was the other thought my grandmother was dealing with -- which was worse? That's why she asked Grandpa what to do. I'm so glad she did.

Anonymous said...

What a fright that must have been! Glad there was a happy ending. We just got a break in the heat. It's a breezy, beautiful 71 degrees out. Heavenly!