Sunday, September 16, 2007

Taking Off
Rocky Gutierrez Airport
Sitka



And then there is taking off from the Sitka Rocky Gutierrez Airport, located on Japonski Island, reached by a bridge from Sitka itself. To quote Wikipedia, "There is a single runway that juts off Japonski Island as a paved causeway of sorts." Notice when the wheels leave the runway that you are already over water.

Take offs and landings, whether you are in the plane or watching, have been known to give the faint of heart the colly wobbles. Ah, nothing like an adrenaline rush to put a little dance in your step. The flight from Sitka to Juneau takes 42 minutes. Locals take a nap.

2 comments:

Susan B said...

Beautiful scenery! Doesn't a video camera count as an "electronic device" though? (which should be turned off during takeoff and landing?)

Ginnie said...

For some reason I can't get "You Tube" to show up....but I can really empathize with you about not thinking of anything to write. I have hit that point and am resorting to re-posting some of my earliest blogs....to intersperse with my newly written ones. I keep hoping I'll get inspired because I love to blog.