Monday, November 19, 2007

Guilty Pleasure

OK, I'll just admit it. I like The Big Bang Theory -- a lot.*

The critics that I've read don't. Although there does seem to be agreement that the actors are much better than the material. There is, the critics say, too much stereotyping of nerds going on here. Well, yes there is. I admit it.

The critics seem to think that these characters are so stereotyped that they aren't likeable.

But, the reason I like it so much is that these characters remind me of a group of teens who used to hang out with Richard, playing Dungeons and Dragons and talking about that world as though it was real. Very, very bright kids. Much smarter book wise than socially. Never fated for high school popularity. And earnest and fun to be around, at least for me. Supremely likeable.

Indeed, to a lesser degree** they remind me of the Elves', Gnomes', Leprechauns', and Little Men's Chowder and Marching Society.

* I seem to have a very eclectic sense of humor. I laugh at dry and witty humor, I laugh at broad humor. Having spent enough time with my Yu'pik mother, I laugh at very earthy humor. Puns. Knock knock jokes. Jokes based on obscure literary or scientific references. I will pretty much laugh at any excuse to laugh, as long as it isn't cruel.

** Because we were more into literature and less into science and math than either Richard and his pals or Howard, Leonard, Sheldon, and Raj, seen above with Penny, the non-nerd from across the hall.

Click on picture to enlarge and notice details of the room. The two flip charts and the telescope.

2 comments:

Autumn's Mom said...

I heard this was funny..I'm into How I met your mother..but I think just because I adore Neil Patrick Harris. I need to check this one out too :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I SO love this show too, it is hilarious. Even my kids love it. Especially the character Sheldon.