Thursday, November 01, 2007

Silent E




The Elves', Gnomes', Leprechauns', and Little Men's Chowder and Marching Society discovered Tom Lehrer our last year in high school. At that time, he was a mathematics instructor at Harvard, putting out these wonderfully funny albums every once in a while. How very adult we felt, listening to his wicked take on the world while our contemporaries reveled in Elvis.

What a delight it was to me, years later, to turn the TV on to The Electric Company, and hear Tom Lehrer teaching the kids about reading. For those of you who never saw that aspect of him, or who saw it and would like to review it, here is Silent E.

2 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh my gosh, I remember that little video so well. My kids all watched The Electric Co. As soon as I played it....it all came back. I guess we were fans of Tom's too.

J said...

I loved the Electric Company. :)

Very cute video.