Monday, February 04, 2008

A Meme for A Monday

Bridget Magnus over at Short Woman tagged me to do the following meme:

So here’s the rules of the Meme:
1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Since my computer is surrounded by books,* I reached out at random with my eyes closed and got How To Talk To Birds and other uncommon ways of enjoying nature the year round, by Richard C. Davis. And I found:

"I don't believe it's an urge to kill or even possess but to know and absorb the beauty of the animal. If a deer were to stand still so that a hunter might admire it in a way a botanist might admire a flower, there might be little deer-killing. Most hunters aren't bloodthirsty or even vain of their reputations as hunters."

* there is a shelf of books I haven't read yet above the monitor, another taking up the window seat, and a bookcase behind me.

And I'm going to tag:
Deja Pseu at Une femme d'un certain age
Cuppa at Brown Betty Brew
Chancy at
Driftwood Inspiration
Kenju at IMAGINE WHAT I'M LEAVING OUT
and Autumn's Mom

Image courtesy John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

5 comments:

Laura said...

That is an interesting line...and the connundrum my husband, as a hunter, often faced. Many times there were no deer in the freezer because of that.

Susan B said...

Oh how fun! I just posted something for today but I'll do this one tomorrow. Thanks!

kenju said...

That's a good meme, Maya's Granny. I have done it before, but I am happy to do it again. In my pile of books to be read is "Stern Men" by Elizabeth Gilbert. One P. 123, it says..."It was at the end of the summer of 1955 that MIss Vera Ellis decided to give a picnic for the people of Fort Niles. She had guests visiting Ellis House from Europe, and she wanted to show them the local spirit, so she planned to have a lobster bake on Gavin Beach, to which all the residents of Fort Niles were to be invited. The decision was without precedent. There had never before been social occasions attended by the locals of Fort Niles and the ellis family, but Miss Vera thought it would be a delightdul event. A novelty."

Autumn's Mom said...

well, being a short woman myself, I'm gonna do this! I'll post on tomorrow's blog :)

Cuppa said...

Hi Granny. I picked up the tag and had fun with it.