Thursday, May 01, 2008

Back in the Hospital

Hi All, J here. Mom asked me to update you, so you don't worry, and so you don't think she's forgotten you and doesn't care.

Well, she's been doing ok, but not great. There was some misunderstanding between the cardiologist in Anchorage, and the doctor at the extended care facility, and she didn't receive some of the heart medications she should have been receiving. Now, she's in CA, and finally has some insurance issues straightened out, and is in the position to see a doctor. But wait, she hasn't been able to stomach food for awhile now. She doesn't eat, and the smell of food turns her stomach. She's lost a lot of weight, and while that in itself might be OK, she's losing it too fast, and she's not getting any nutrition to give her the strength she needs to do physical therapy, etc.

Then, early Wednesday morning, she fell and hurt her back. Not horribly bad, not enough to go to the hospital, but badly enough that she's very uncomfortable, and can't get up, can't go to the bathroom without help, can't have a bath without professional assistance, etc. Poor Kate is, at this point, watching my mom decline, seeing her get weaker and weaker, trying anything she can to get her to eat so she'll feel better SOON. Nothing works.

Then this morning, mom wakes up and is feeling queasy, queasy like she did when she had her heart attack. So Kate called the advice nurse, and they said to get her to the hospital.

So. Mom's back in the hospital. They ran some tests, and she has congestive heart failure again. She may have pneumonia, they're checking on that. They're straightening out her medication issues, getting her started on physical therapy again, and trying to figure out what the problem is with her appetite and not eating. She'll be there for a few days, perhaps longer. Then, since Kate isn't able to give her the care she needs yet, nor am I, she will probably go to another assisted living facility for a short time. Then, hopefully, back to Kate's house.

That's how I spent my day on Thursday. At the hospital. That's how mom and Kate spent Thursday, at the hospital. But Kate and I got to go home. Poor mom, she's stuck.

18 comments:

Betty said...

I'm so sorry you've had a setback. I hope your doctors can get everything straightened out and you can go back home, soon. Thinking about you and your family.

Tabor said...

i do not know what to say. I guess you just take it one day at a time.

slippingthroughtheworld said...

hello from sunny glasgow. please tell your mum that i've been reading her old posts and absolutely loved the one called 'friendship' july 2006. loved the black rabbit and the passing of the book in hysterical laughter. hope she gets well soon.

irene x

Susan B said...

MG, I'm sorry you'rehaving such a tough go of it. I'm hoping the docs get everything straightened out and that you're back to kicking ass on the ones you need it soon!

Anvilcloud said...

That's tough. Bets of luck.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh Julie, I'm SO sorry for your mom, and you and Kate. I know this setback is hard on all of you...especially your mom. I guess the only thing you all can do is take it a step at a time...you have no choice at this point. There's no way of knowing how these things will go; but I'll be thinking of you and your mom and hoping things start to look up very soon. Have faith sweetie...

Bugwalk said...

Oh, dear! I'm sorry MG is back in the hospital, and hope everything will be back on track soon.

lilalia said...

My heavens, I do hope the doctors finally work out what your mom needs to improve. It must be so discouraging: sleeping poorly and not having any appetite. If anyone deserves a fairy godmother to walk in and wave a wand, it's your mom. Please send her my best wishes.

Barbara said...

I'm so sorry that you are back in the hospital. Sending you lots of positive energy and prayers!

PEACE

kenju said...

The positive thing is that she is getting treatment and the insurance issues are settled - at least I hope they are. Please give her our love and say we hope she will be out and feeling better soon.

Jill said...

Continuing to think of you and send you much love and good, good wishes. xoxoxoxo

GirlGriot said...

Thanks so much for the update, Julie. I'm so sorry to hear that MG is back in the hospital! I'll be keeping her (and you, Richard and Kate) in my prayers.
--Stacie

geogrrl said...

Thank you so much for the update.

I had been getting worried that something was wrong.

I'm glad to hear it's getting sorted out.

Courage! Your mother's not ready to check out just yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh (((((((((((Joyceln)))))))))


I'm so sorry to hear this but hope that with the right medicine you make a quick recovery.

mary in scotland

Never That Easy said...

Setbacks? Ugh. Feel better soon, MG, know that we're all thinking of you!

Uncivil said...

Dag nabbit!!!!I was hoping to hear some good news today...it's just a setback though.....she's a fighter.
Hang in there MG....you too J
Hugs!

Chancy said...

All I can say is I am so sorry MG had a set back and I hope and pray the hospital and doctors can help her get on the real road to recovery.

Ginnie said...

Thanks for keeping us informed. I will keep your mom in my prayers and hope that things will turn around for the best real soon.