Saturday, March 17, 2007

In A Nutshell
XLI

In a Nutshell

A place set aside to answer 201 autobiographical questions
from a mother for her daughter. This may take awhile...join us if you like.


41. I had a lot of fun with this subject in elementary school:

When I went to St. Mary of the Palms School for Girls, in second and part of third grade, we had a class that was probably reading and writing -- it was certainly too young an age to be called English. Each week there would be a poem written out on the blackboard for us to copy into one of those lovely sewn black marble cover composition books.

I no longer remember what poems they were, but I know that I thoroughly enjoyed the copying and reading the poems to myself over and over again. Learning to remember longer and longer phrases as I copied, so that I didn't have to look up for every word, was very exciting.

I long ago lost those composition books, but I still love them. Since, these days, I copy things that I intend to keep forever on the computer, I don't ever use them, but I seldom see one that I don't have a mild urge to buy it.

1 comment:

kenju said...

Funny you should mention that. I hav always loved new notebooks of any kind, but those hold a fascination for me. Now that I use the computer so much, I also have no need for notebooks, but they still beckon.