Saturday, July 14, 2007

And After That It Rained

Heavy rain. Rain in the morning, rain in the evening, rain at suppertime. When the rain stops, the fog raises. Everything is growing and growing and growing. And I had planned to get a photo of the front of my place, the vacant lot next door (where the house slid down the hill about 20 years ago), and the retaining wall, because they were sweet rocket and butter cups all over the place, but the rain has knocked a great deal of the sweet rocket flat. And that was a disappointment, because it is the most in bloom that section has ever been, with sweet rocket growing between the cracks of the retaining wall. So, I will just have to hope that it gets that pretty again next year.

Yahoo is predicting rain through the 23rd, which is as far out as they predict. Ugh.

Here is a quote from Terry Pratchett's "The Last Continent" which aptly describes what our weather has been like lately.
It rained. After that, it rained. Then it rained some more. The clouds were stacked like impatient charter flights over the coast, low on fuel, jockeying for position, and raining. Above all, raining.
***
It went on raining.
And then it rained some more.
After that it rained.
I love the image of the clouds as impatient charter flights. I would love to claim it as my own. And if Pratchett weren't such a very well known author, and if I weren't such a goody-two-shoes, I just might. But he is and I am, so I give credit where credit is due.

3 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Argh! Too bad you can't send it to some of the places where they are brgging for rain!

Rain Trueax said...

and we haven't had enough rain. Our fields are drying up with the heat. Things are not in balance!

Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely photo...unlike the steady rainfall. have to check out terry pratchett--new to me.